The City Engineer’s Office is the engineering arm of the City Government of Davao. Its functions are outlined in Article 7, Section 477 of the Local Government Code:
Local Government Code of the Philippines
Article Seven. – The Engineer
SEC. 477. Qualifications, Powers and Duties. – (a) No person shall be appointed engineer unless he is a citizen of the Philippines, a resident of the local government unit concerned, of good moral character, and a licensed civil engineer. He must have acquired experience in the practice of his profession for at least five (5) years in the case of the provincial or city engineer, and three (3) years in the case of the municipal engineer. The appointment of an engineer shall be mandatory for the provincial, city, and municipal governments. The city and municipal engineer shall also act as the local building official.
(b) The engineer shall take charge of the engineering office and shall:
(1) Initiate, review and recommend changes in policies and objectives, plans and programs, techniques, procedures and practices in infrastructure development and public works in general of the local government unit concerned;
(2) Advise the governor or mayor, as the case may be, on infrastructure, public works, and other engineering matters;
(3) Administer, coordinate, supervise, and control the construction, maintenance, improvement, and repair of roads, bridges, and other engineering and public works projects of the local government unit concerned;
(4) Provide engineering services to the local government unit concerned, including investigation and survey, engineering designs, feasibility studies, and project management;
(5) In the case of the provincial engineer, exercise technical supervision over all engineering offices of component cities and municipalities; and
(c) Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
Note: By Executive Order No. 26, Series of 2011, signed and approved by Mayor Sara Z. Duterte, an Ad Hoc Office of the Building Official was created. The Executive Oder No. 26, Series of 2011 is an order creating and organizing an Ad Hoc Office of the Building Official as a Separate and Distinct Department from the Office of the City Engineer, defining its functions, and for other purposes.
A copy of this order can be seen under NEWS/ARTICLES portion.
To provide adequate, relevant and efficient infrastructure support facilities and utilities and urban basic services in order to attain the socio-economic upliftment to its citizenry within the framework of sustainable development.
Who we are